Seeking a hassle-free Italian getaway that couples the best of two worlds?
The five-star Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese hotel has partnered with the historic Masciarelli Winery to create a bespoke 10-day experience that will surely appeal to food and wine enthusiasts. The itinerary offers guests a “taste” of bustling Rome and a glimpse of the bucolic life in Abruzzo, one of Italy’s greenest and least-touristed regions.
Beginning in Rome
Guests will settle into a Luxury Room for five nights at this elegant hotel housed in a former 19th-century Roman palazzo. Situated on a quiet residential street, the Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese is within easy walking distance of iconic landmarks like the Trevi Fountain, Villa Medici, and Spanish Steps.
From this perch, guests will have opportunities to explore various aspects of the history, art, architecture, and culture of life in the Eternal City through a series of immersive, private tours.
- A visit to Coppedè, a charming neighborhood with alluring Art Nouveau architecture, and Torlonia, a park and villa once owned by nobles;
- Touring the Villa Medici palace and gardens;
- A street food tour with Daverro Rome, with stops ranging from traditional to contemporary fare;
- A “Hidden Rome” tour, led by an art historian and running coach at ArcheoRunning;
- Visiting Villa Farnesina, the site of Raphael’s ceiling fresco with scenes from the marriage of Cupid and Psyche; and
- A dinner of contemporary Roman cuisine (using locally sourced ingredients) at Settimo, the hotel’s rooftop lounge and fine dining restaurant with panoramic city views.
The package includes private, round-trip transportation (in a chauffeured Mercedes sedan) between Rome and Abruzzo.
During a relaxing drive of about 2-1/2 hours and a world away from Rome, guests will be able to soak in dramatic views of the rolling hills until they reach the doors of Masciarelli’s Castello Di Semivicoli wine resort, where they’ll stay in a Superior Suite for five nights.
The wine resort is located in the small town of San Martino sulla Marrucina (which has a population of about 800 people) in the province of Chieti.
Guests will stay in the resort’s ancient patrician country house set in the Theatine hills. The Superior Suite with contemporary furnishings offers 360-degree views of the vineyards, the Abruzzo mountain range, and the Adriatic coast.
The prestigious three-generation, family-owned winery and its surrounding grounds are nestled between the Apennines and the Adriatic Sea. With a portfolio of 22 labels and seven lines of wine (as well as extra virgin olive oil), the winery has achieved accolades from around the world.
Highlights of the Abruzzo experience include:
- A private dinner and wine tasting in the barrel room of Castello Di Seminioli;
- Cooking lesson on the art of preparing typical chitarra pasta;
- A visit to the winery, and participation in harvesting (if seasonally available);
- Tasting and dinner in the middle of the flagship Villa Gemma vineyard;
- Boat tour along the Trabocchi coast to see the historic, wooden fishing structures;
- Ceramic workshop with a local artisan; and
- A visit to an organic vineyard owned by a former professional soccer player turned winemaker.
During the stay, guests will have a luxury sedan and a driver at their disposal to visit the nearby beach, local villages, and the historic sites in the region.
“Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese continues to strive to break the mold of expected, traditional offerings, going outside the box to create new experiences for our well-traveled and discerning guests,” says Edoardo Giuntoli, General Manager of Sofitel Rome Villa Borghese, speaking of this new offering.
This unique 10-day package offers travelers the chance to conveniently explore two different regions in Italy (Lazio and Abruzzo) and experience their respective regional cuisines and cultures.
Prices start at € 10,520 for two people. To obtain more information or make reservations for the 10-night Italy: City and Coast Getaway, email firstname.lastname@example.org.